December 1, 2008

The Back

Well, here it is, the back. It turned out nicely, I think.
Except, for some reason, while figuring out how large to make the pink pieces above and below the hands panel, I came up with the idea that they should be the same cut size as the panel: 15x15. I was wrong, of course. They needed to be 15" wide, but 14.5+14.5+14.5 doesn't add up to 50" which is the size of the top. So I cut two extra pieces and had to sew them to the top and bottom of the edging pieces. You can see the top patch in this photo:

Oh well. It doesn't look too bad. I'm back to work today but will try to get the top, batting, and backing pinned together this week. Maybe I'll even start quilting!


An update on my mum's quilt: All the squares are bound and now I just have to sew them together. I was thinking of keeping it "light", if that's the right word, and tack one to the next once in the middle of the sides of the squares - in other words, I won't sew all one side to one side of the next block, just sew them together at one point. I'm not sure why I want to do this, but it seems like the right thing to do and I think it will be good.

On top of the tacking down I want to put a ribbon bow and to that end I went to Mokuba last week and bought a metre each of several different ribbons. I decided on an lovely transparent red ribbon with gold edging. Mum would like it. She loved red and gold. In their last house together my parents put in wall-to-wall red carpeting.

I tried this white and gold ribbon


but it seemed to get lost, so I tried this other white and gold ribbon. The white had a bit of a blue sheen to it.

But really, I think I bought this one just because I liked it for itself. It too gets lost.

Then I tried this thinner red and gold one

which is nice and stands out better, but I also bought the wider width of the same ribbon
And while I might tend to go for the thinner more discrete ribbon, my mum wasn't a discrete woman: she lived out loud, so I think the wider ribbon is better. What do you think of this bow?


I think this is the way I'll go. I put up pics when it's all together and on our bed.
Until then, keep your foot on the dogs.


No comments: