March 5, 2008

Happy Appreciation Day!

Happy Snow Day!!! Whoo-hoo! We received another good dump of snow overnight and it's still falling - tiny little flakes lazily floating to earth. Sure, some people might complain, but I love the snow and I think it's about time we had a normal snowfall. When I was a kid, we always had lots of snow, so much we could build forts from it and certainly build lots of snowmen, snowwomen, and snow babies. Our winter precipitation has been slowly easing off over the decades so I am damn happy to see it come back this past month in almost full force. Of course, this means I can't ride my bike to work today, but that's okay.
My weekend didn't turn out as planned, again - maybe I'm not planning realistically? But that's not what I want to write about today (I'll update you on that tomorrow). Today is March 5th and for many of you that means, well, nothing. For some of you, it may be your birthday or anniversary. For me, it is the anniversary of my mom's passing. She died six years ago this afternoon from congestive heart failure.

To say that she and I were close would be an understatement. We spoke on the phone everyday and I shared just about everything with her. It was primarily her views on nature, animals, and crafts/arts that made me a philosophical, vegetarian quilter, although I don't think she ever realized that. She was a strong, outspoken person who was the most liberated woman I have ever known, although she never was part of the feminist movement per se. It was just who she was. She tried all kinds of craft/art things throughout her life, knitting, crocheting, making reproduction porcelin dolls, spinning wool, and baking bread (I remember coming home from school to the smell of fresh-baked bread and she would have made a dozen loaves!). But the thing that caught and held her interest the longest was computers. She loved computers and everything having to do with them from the moment she bought a Tandy in the eighties. Her enthusiasm for life was spectacular. One of the many important things she taught me was to appreciate the people I love and to let them know everyday how important and loved they are. I miss her very much.
Here she is as a young mother, with me on her lap.


This is my mom when I was a teenager. Notice the bit of spinning wheel in the background.

And here are dad, mom, my daughter and I one Christmas. Mom and my daughter are making pouty faces - she had such a great, silly sense of humour.

So, in honour of my mom, make today the day you tell someone you know the positive impact they have on you. Whether it's someone you love and see everyday, or someone you are just acqainted with who makes you laugh, let them know. It will make both of you feel great, and really that's what life is all about, isn't it? (yes, I am a hedonist). Let them know now, because sometimes you don't get a second chance.

Keep you foot on the dogs.

No comments: